Sunday, December 03, 2006

Welcome Lucian Swaab

The news - and Baby - is out. Lucian Swaab was born on November 30th 2006 at 10.37am. At birth he weighed 1535 grams and measured 42 cms long. He was just a little over 11 weeks early but is doing really well in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit).

Before Lucian was Born

I was admitted to hospital on the monday before the baby was born. I had gone to my OBGYN that morning as I felt something was not right. I was in no pain however due to Isaac being early I was on high alert. My OBGYN examined me and found me to be 1cm dilated and had a "floppy" cervix (my cervix will forever have esteem issues now!). She sent me directly to Labor and Delivery at the hospital where I deliverd Isaac. The hospital is about 45 mins drive in moderate traffic.

When I arrived they did a sono and saw that I was about 60% effaced (my cervix was no longer 4.8cm long but only just 1cm remained) and I was a tight 1cm dilated. The monitored me and saw I was not really having labor contractions however my uterus was irritable so the doctors put me on Magnesium Sulphate through an IV. They also gave me some oral medication to stop the contractions too. The drugs didn't bother me that much. I reacted well as many women complain badly of the side effects of the Mag. They also started a course of Steriods for the baby - to assist with development - particularly lung development. I was on Mag and bedrest at the hospital until things stabilised.

On Wednesday evening I started having contractions which they were treating with another drug - terbutaline - as needed through injections. The Terb really helped in the beginning but then we get into a pattern that I would start contractions, they would monitor me to see if I was really having them, see that I was, then give me the steriods. I must have had 2 shots within 2 hours on Wednesday evening. They didn't want to do an internal unless we couldn't stop the labor. Later that evening a new nurse came on and when I complained of these mild contractions she didn't want to monitor them unless they got a lot more painful and more frequent. I let her know a few times that these were pretty regular however she was in no hurry to monitor me. I fell to sleep and around 3.30am ish I awoke to regular more painful contractions. She put me one the monitor, tried the Terb again but it wouldn't work for more than a few minutes then called the doctor. The doctor examined me and found me to be 5cm with the amniotic sac "bulging". Off to Labor and Delivery again to see if we could get this to stop. I, of-course, was very upset that I had dilated more and that a delivery might be imminent. I called Mark and the poor thing had only just gotten into bed from a night shift. He drove straight over.

Delivery - All the details - not if you are squeemish

More Mag and Terb in the L and D ward. More contractions. Ice chips. But the contractions had a mind of their own and weren't going to stop. They were so much more painful than Isaac's. With Isaac I only reached a pain level 10 when in transition. With this one I was at a 10 around 6cm. As soon as it was obvious that they couldn't stop the labor and I would be delivering, I called for drugs... I have done the Natural No Drug with Isaac and have nothing to prove anymore so went with the Epidural and I have to say it is wonderful!!! I would highly recommend it!!! They gave that to me just after 8am. Labor was a lot more comfortable and must have progressed well - I didn't feel a lot - although I did require top ups.

When they thought I was ready to start pushing they were setting up. My water still hadn't broken although the doctor did say I was really ready to go. My OB doctor was there along with the nurses. They had called the NICU neonatologists. As I was getting ready my water broke. Without pushing, Lucians legs and some of the torso was out. The NICU doctors were literally there within seconds and they worked at getting the head out. All I could see was a foot which is not the part of the baby you want to see when delivering. I pushed to assist the head out and he popped out and was rushed to the baby table where they worked on him. No crys immediately which was terrible wondering what was happening. He was OK just taking his time getting his breaths and the Mag that I had been on for so long really effects the baby. I didn't get to hold him (I still haven't) and they took him directly into the NICU.

After Delivery

I felt great after delivery and was up and about after about 3 hours. I managed a shower early that afternoon and then ran and peaked at my newest little man.

Initally Lucian was on the respirator and intebated. They also started him on some Blood Pressure meds to stabilize his BP. Now he is 4 days old and has been off the Respirator and no longer Intebated since he was about 1 day old. They stopped the BP meds on day 2 and now he is just on C-Pap of room air and minimal pressure. His Biliruben levels went up - as we expected - and now he is having phototherapy - just as Isaac had. They started to feed him breast milk on day 2 and is now on 4cc's of milk every 4 hours - that is just a little less than 1 teaspoon. This amount will go up every 12 hours unless he starts to have problems with digestion. Today they will do the brain ultrasound to check for bleeds on the brain. Apparently they are quite common.

We are just taking it a day at a time.

He looks just like Isaac did as a baby - only a lot skinnier. He is just beautiful and I can't believe how lucky I am to have 2 beautiful boys. I can't wait to hold my littlest man. I have been very relaxed about all this. Probably a little denial and also the fact that we have already been through this once before. We know the drill. I am in no rush to get him home. He is in the best place for him now - but I know that when I can give him a hold I will just lose it. That is the one thing that really makes me get misty eyed - imagine holding Lucian. It won't be long.

I will keep you all posted.